The Constitution dates back to 31 Aug 1957 and is not available as an ICL-edition. Malaysia is a constitutional monarchy where the hereditary rulers elect a paramount ruler (currently, 1997, Tuanku Ja'Afar) and his deputy (Tunku Salahuddin).
Politics are dominated by the National Front which holds 162 of 192 seats in the House of Representatives.
History and News
- 2000: Next parliamentary elections.
- 1997: Mahathier Mohamad promotes a "multimedia super-corridor" for Malaysia; it is targeted to divert some information-technology business away from Hong Kong and Singapore.
- April 1995: National Front clearly wins parliamentary elections with a 63% lead and 162 out of 192 seats; runner-ups are DAP (9 seats), PBS (8), PAS (7), and Semangat'46 (6).
- 26 April 1994: Hereditary rulers of nine states are electing Tuanku Ja'Afar as paramount ruler and Tunku Salahuddin as his deputy.
- 16 July 1981: Dr. Mahathier Mohamad becomes Prime Minister.