Before the presidency of Fernandez, politics in the republic habe been dominated by Joaquin Balaguer who was president for 22 years and whose friends were dominating the Supreme Court and the army.
President Leonel Fernandez belongs to the Dominican Liberation Party of Juan Bosch which holds only 10% of the seats in Congress. His success is due to Balaguer's support which, in turn, stems from his dislike for Pena Gomez.
History and News
- 30 June 1996: Leonel Fernandez wins presidential elections against Jose Francisco Pena Gomez, former mayor of Santo Domingo.
- 14 Aug 1994: Amendment to the Constitution.
- 28 Nov 1966: Adoption of the Constitution.
- Jan 1962: Balaguer is forced to leave the country.
- Nov 1961: The Trujillo family is forced to leave the country.
- 30 May 1961: Death of the dictator Trujillo.
- 1960: Balaguer becomes President.
- 27 Feb 1844: Independence from Haiti.
For methodology see:
Comparing Constitutions and International Constitutional Law.
1994 - 27.6.2020
/ For corrections please contact